Strategic purposes and activities:
Goal 1: Inform Okanagan communities about the consequences of climate change and inspire them to take action.
- Work with local libraries to develop climate change displays that feature books and other resources.
- Develop a public presentation on climate change that can be given to community audiences.
- Work with schools to develop programs and teacher training sessions on climate change and reducing energy use.
- Produce a series of brochures on climate change (general and topics relevant to the Okanagan –water supply, drought, wildfire)
- Write regular columns on alternative energy solutions
Goal 2: Lobby representatives from all levels of government to support policies that reverse the build-up of greenhouse gases.
- Write letters to provincial and federal representatives encouraging them to take quick and definitive action to address climate change.
- Meet with municipal and regional district council members and climate action community members to promote a climate action agenda that includes community power initiatives.
- Research the climate change mandates and targets adopted by of various levels of government
Goal 3: Inspire individuals and communities to reduce their GHG footprint.
- Initiate a FTFO sustainable energy project and invite the community to participate
- Organize an electric vehicle (EV) event and provide EV information
- Facilitate access to GHG footprint calculators and hold competitions for GHG reductions
Goal 4: Network with other regional organizations to strengthen climate change awareness and stimulate effective action.
- identify other groups that have goals compatible with FTFO and seek a mutually beneficial affiliation
- Engage with affiliated groups through joint meetings or webinars and collaborate on publications and activities
- Promote collaborative actions and projects