To the Honourable the Legislative Assembly of the Province of British Columbia, in Legislature Assembled:
The petition of the undersigned, residents of the Province of British Columbia, state that:
- Whereas the government has a duty of care to all its citizens and to the environment that sustains them;
- Whereas fracking for gas and oil causes release of methane gas;
- Whereas living near fracking sites has been shown to cause health effects;
- Whereas all governments have acknowledged the negative effects caused by climate change and the imperative of taking action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions;
- Whereas Canadian governments are failing to meet their obligations to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and have inadequate plans to meet those obligations in the future;
Your petitioners respectfully request that the Honourable House:
Introduce a comprehensive plan that guarantees success in meeting British Columbia’s GHG emission targets. This plan must, in part, include a carbon tax on all aspects of the LNG process; a fracking study that includes human health effects and an accounting of methane release; subsidies for the clean and job creating solar, wind and thermal technologies but not oil and gas.
Dated 20 day of April 2018.
FTFO PetitionToLegislature final
Download the official petition if you wish to collect signatures for FTFO